AquaGuard Injection & Waterproofing® is an established waterproofing contractor, servicing the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), that offers the full range of foundation waterproofing solutions for all foundation types.
Among the numerous basement waterproofing solutions that we offer is exterior / external waterproofing, typically referred to as external excavation and waterproofing, this basement waterproofing method is arguably the most common waterproofing technique used by the majority of waterproofing contractors. It’s widespread use is attributable to its effectiveness (when done properly using the right materials) and it’s suitability for all foundation types – stone, concrete block, brick, and poured concrete.
At AquaGuard Injection & Waterproofing®, external excavation and waterproofing is executed in 7 steps as follows:
- Excavation of the foundation wall down to the footing;
- Removal of the existing weeping tile in the excavated area;
- Cleaning of the foundation wall to ensure good adhesion of the foundation coating;
- Application of foundation coating onto the excavated wall (the use of an elastomeric rubber coating is critical to successful basement waterproofing but is not used by all waterproofing contractors);
- Installation of an air-gap membrane / foundation wrap / dimpled sheet membrane onto the excavated foundation wall (for damp proofing);
- Installation of new weeping tile / drain tile and gravel; and
- Confirmation that the entire system drains adequately.
Note: There can be major differences in the products that contractors use; this can lead to poor results when a “general” contractor attempts “specialized” repairs such as basement waterproofing.
This is what a typical external excavation and waterproofing job looks like:
Note: There are circumstances when external excavation is the best foundation waterproofing option; for example, when there is significant exterior deterioration of the foundation wall, and when is not possible, or desirable, to access the area requiring waterproofing from the inside. If you are not sure that external excavation and waterproofing is the most viable option for your situation, we invite you to contact us to find out about other waterproofing methods that are available for your type of foundation and the nature of the problem that you are having.
Are you considering having your concrete block or cinder block foundation walls waterproofed from the exterior? If so, follow the link to our Concrete Block Foundation Waterproofing page, for detailed procedures specific to this type of waterproofing.