What it Costs For Basement Waterproofing
Upon the discovery of a leak in their basement, many homeowners choose to ignore it if at all possible because they are afraid that the cost of repairing their wet basement will cost a fortune. In general, the cost to waterproof a basement / repair a basement leak ranges from $125 to 10’s of 1000’s; obviously the nature of the work and the scope of the waterproofing repair(s) determines the final price.
Below we have listed price ranges for basement waterproofing repairs in the Greater Toronto Area. The pricing for the basement waterproofing services was obtained during meetings with clients that had obtained multiple estimates to waterproof their basement.
Average Basement Waterproofing Pricing – April 2013
- Poured concrete foundation crack injection - $350 - $525 per crack;
- Poured concrete foundation tie-rod hole leak repairs - $25 - $125 per tie-rod hole depending upon the quantity repaired;
- Window well drain installation - $850 - $1200 per window well drain;
- External excavation and waterproofing - $100 - $200 per linear foot influenced by excavation depth and accessibility (minimums usually apply);
- Exterior crack repair - $400 - $1400;
- Interior perimeter drain / weeping tile system installation - $50 - $85 per linear foot (minimums usually apply);
- Sump pump installation (basic submersible with liner) - $900 - $1450; and
- Crack stabilization - $75 - $300 per crack.
Additional Costs Related To Basement Waterproofing
In some instances it is necessary to budget for additional costs above and beyond the cost of the waterproofing. Some examples are:
- Air conditioning unit removal and reinstallation to permit excavation ($500);
- Deck, patio, fence, driveway removal and reinstallation to permit excavation;
- Landscaping after external waterproofing;
- Weeping tile flushing during external waterproofing ($350 - $800);
- Finished basement wall tear-out and disposal for interior weeping tile system installation; and
- Hot water tank removal and reinstallation for interior weeping tile system installation ($300).
Factors Affecting What Basement Waterproofing Costs
Upon reviewing the prices listed above, clearly prices vary, sometimes dramatically. This wide price range for basement waterproofing is due to a number of factors:
- The size, reputation and professionalism of the company;
- The quality, type, quantity of waterproofing products used, as well as the processes and procedures utilized;
- Whether or not the company and its employees and/or subcontractors are insured;
- Whether or not the company is categorized as a specialized “waterproofing contractor” or a “general” contractor;
- The quality of a company’s customer service;
- The extent to which workplace safety practices are observed;
- The skill and expertise of the employees;
- Prevailing market conditions.
Reasons Behind Major Price Differences Between Waterproofing Contractors
The basement waterproofing estimates you obtain to a large extent reflect a basement waterproofing contractor’s cost of doing business. Marketing costs, salaries and benefits, and overhead are the main influencers of a waterproofing contractor’s costs, which are subsequently passed on to you. Basement waterproofing companies that don’t have commercial liability insurance or insure their employees through WSIB, use subcontractors, or work out of their home will have lower costs, giving them the ability to offer lower prices.
Be sure to check out our companion blog article: Basement Waterproofing Cost Reduction Strategies For Homeowners.
Low Pricing For Basement Waterproofing Services May Be a Red Flag
As in any occupation, there are many ways to cut corners in the basement waterproofing industry and this cutting of corners takes place in the details; here are a few examples:
- Some waterproofing materials are far better and longer lasting than others (naturally they cost more);
- No two basement waterproofing jobs are the same; at times, the materials used need to be different (one size does not fit all);
- The use of employees with minimal skill introduces the risk that waterproofing work will not be done properly and therefore the not stand the test of time or harsh conditions;
- Unsafe excavation and work practices such as no work boots, hearing protection or safety glasses, adds to the risk of worksite injuries; and
- The company offers low pricing because it does work at the lowest possible cost with no intention of honouring the warranties it provides.
Be sure to check out our related blog post entitled: basement leak repair cost
To consult with one of our expert technicians:
Share This Article With Your Friends
Tweet this page Share on LinkedIn Share on Facebook
© 2012 AquaGuard Injection & Waterproofing®. All rights reserved